Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Dog Days....

     I'd like to take a second to introduce you to some of  our furry friends here on the farm. These are our two guard dogs Maggie and Marley. We haven't lost any sheep to coyotes or any other predators. We keep these two with their girls (the ewes) in the electric netting, fence that we break down and set up each day to keep them rotated and on good pasture.




















Maggie is our 3 year old anatolian shepherd. She still acts like a big baby at times. She absolutely loves to get her belly rubbed, but if a stranger or predator gets to close to her sheep she'll show you a completely different side. Maggie is currently protecting and snuggling up to our older mamas from the past three years.


This was last lambing season in the barn. Can you spot Maggie in this picture?


Marley was our first guard dog here on the farm. She was given to us, so I'm not exactly sure about her age but I do have to say this farm wouldn't be the same with out her here. After she got use to us it's been love ever since! Marley is half anatolian shepherd and half great pyrenees.She's currently loving and protecting our ewe lambs from this past spring. There's definitely a special bond there between Marley and us and Marley and the sheep. I had this idea in my head that I wouldn't feel as close to an older animal that was given to me as to one that we had raised our selves as a pup, but boy was I wrong. Marley is exactly what I said, she's special!!! We have so many stories of her going out of her way to protect these babies that it would probably sound as if I were telling tales. But I'll save those for another day!!!





Between these two girls, our East Friesian Sheep are in great hands!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment